As an umbrella organization for the twelve Friends of the Library groups, FVRL Foundation provides technical assistance and administrative support so that each individual group can be more effective in supporting their local library branch. This includes:
- Hosting the annual Friends Fair where Friends groups can share information and receive recognition for the hard work they do on behalf of the library.
- Providing training in areas such as fundraising and pricing collectible books.
- Serving as a resource for information on Friends operations.
- Completing federal and state non-profit reporting requirements.
Each Friends group has its own officers, by-laws, dues structure, meetings and activities, but they share a common bond of supporting local branches through funding, advocacy and volunteer support. Some of their activities include:
- Book sales
- Hosting library programs
- Educating the public about the needs of the library
- Advising the branch librarian on the needs of the community
- Purchasing materials and equipment for the local library.